Sometimes prospective models enquire about modelling for us. So, in addition to our FAQ section, here is an overview of what we do, and how we do it – aimed specifically at would-be models.
If you are familiar with this site, then you will already know that we try to replicate the classic hour-glass figures of that bygone era, and document how we achieve that look. We enjoy working with intelligent, hard-working models that can also inject some humour and a sense of fun into the shoot. After all, if shooting stops being fun, then what’s the point of doing it?
To do retro-fitness properly, one really needs models who can carry themselves well and who “look the part“. Some of the best retro models tend to be dancers or former gymnasts. Modelling retro requires good posture and deportment. In days gone by, models were taught these things. We find that gymnasts and dancers still are.
However we have also produced good work with complete amateurs, especially those who are keen to learn. Most important thing you need is enthusiasm. All we ask is that you turn up to the shoot, on time, with clean nails and freshly washed hair, well rested and ready to do a good day’s work.
To create that authentic hourglass retro body shape, one also needs authentic looking costumes that hug and enhance the model’s figure. Over the years we have amassed a large and fairly valuable collection of vintage costumes in a range of sizes between UK 4 up to UK 12.
We shoot strictly TFP (time for pictures), so it is important that we produce imagery that you can use in your portfolio too. Therefore, we are happy to mix our outfits with yours, if you have items of your own that you particularly want to try.
- Some of the costumes available.
We work mainly from a small but well equipped studio in South East Hampshire, UK. It’s about 24 square metres (250 square feet), with separate changing facility. My wife is normally present during the shoot to organise the studio, fix the scenery and dig out the various outfits and props we require. She is also a very competent stylist, and is excellent at spotting loose threads and labels sticking out!
- More information about the waist.it studio.
Lighting and props
In addition to conventional studio flash, we also enjoy unusual or unorthodox lighting (including constant-lighting sources such as daylight-CFL, LED, UV and flat-panel). we also like including iconic pieces of technology, e.g. vintage radios, film cameras, dial-type telephones, sports cars, optical disks, maps, mixer-desks, hard disk innards, and steam engines (to name but a few) with our shoots. We are also rather keen on animal-print fabrics, expensive-looking shapewear, shockingly-vibrant colours and seriously chunky jewellery – though not all at the same time, obviously! 🙂
Seven important rules that models must be aware of
In the interests of everyone’s health and happiness, we need few rules…
- We take the risk of COVID19 very seriously. Myself and anyone who assists me are all fully vaccinated. We also all take lateral flow tests before mixing with other people. Currently we are only permitting models who are fully vaccinated to enter the premises. We may also ask you to take a lateral flow test prior to the shoot. Please see our current coronavirus policy.
- waist.it does not work with under 18’s. You must be 18 years old, or over and have valid photo ID, which you will be asked to produce at the shoot.
- We understand that models must ensure their own safety. Therefore chaperones are generally welcome to our shoots. However, you must tell us before the shoot if you intend to bring someone with you. Please study our chaperone policy very carefully.
- This site is a strictly no-nudity site. Therefore we have no interest in undertaking any topless, nude or adult work with you.
- Model photography is an expensive, non-profit pastime, undertaken primarily for fun and recreation, and because we have a deep, long-term interest in the subject. We offer TFP (time for pictures) to models who we believe will enjoy the shoot and who will make the necessary effort to create good-quality images for their portfolios. No money will change hands either way.
- Our time and resources are valuable. Models who book a shoot and then fail to turn up without a valid explanation may be charged for the time and resources they waste.
- No recreational drugs allowed. In addition to illegal drugs, our ban also extends to alcohol, tobacco and vaping. Alcohol and shoots don’t mix. Smoking poses a fire risk. My wife has asthma and tobacco smoke badly irritates her lungs. Besides, stale tobacco smoke would also make our studio and costumes smell nasty!