Get the retro shape
In days of old, the prevailing wisdom was that young ladies should not just to rely on corsetry to keep their figures under control. Girls were taught to develop good posture and deportment. So we run regular retro fitness shoots, filming our models as they work to achieve the classic retro shape. During these sessions, our models often work out together and help each other to improve their figures and develop authentic-looking retro poses,
So, no slouching please girls. As Chiara, our longest serving model, often says, “Shoulders back, tummy in – and make it all look natural, and easy…”
Of course, our approach is a little “tongue in cheek” too. Main reason we encourage these old-fashioned methods is because they really do make modern girls look better in retro-style photos. This is a fact that Chiara and Laura very convincingly demonstrate in the animation on the right. ->
We should just add that Chiara is a very competent retro model with fabulous retro-style posture. It doesn’t matter how tired she feels, she always keeps her shoulders back and her tummy tucked in during a shoot. She is especially careful of her posture when she is teaching another model because she likes to lead by example. She only let it all hang out for this sequence of images, because she wanted to demonstrate three important things about being a good retro model:-
- A protruding tummy, even a tiny one like her’s can completely spoil a girl’s figure.
- Although she was wearing a good firm girdle with plenty of tummy-control, it still allowed her tummy to poke out. Therefore, to look really good on film, a girl still needs to use her tummy muscles too!
- Retro models working together can actually help each other to achieve the perfect shape. Even though Laura was effectively Chiara’s student during this shoot, Chiara always encourages her students to correct her too. In fact, some of our most interesting shots happen when new models correct and shape their teachers!
Indeed, photographing the figure-shaping process can be as interesting as the end results. This process often means lots of time in front of the mirrors, straightening and stretching spines, pulling back rounded shoulders, coupled with plenty of tummy-toning and deportment-improving exercises. We even do the old fashioned walking with books balanced on heads routine – often in ludicrously high heels, and tightly belted waists – just to make it a bit more interesting! As Chiara always says,”even really skinny girls must learn to stand tall and tuck in their tummies, especially when they’re being filmed!”
In fact, here at waist.it, we’re never sure which is more interesting capture on camera:-
- A seasoned corset-wearing professional such as Chiara effortlessly posing with perfect form and posture?
- An inexperienced, slightly-awkward new model, taught to stand tall, pull in her stomach and move gracefully – or wriggle into some frighteningly figure-forming shapewear – perhaps for the first time in her life?
Needless to say, we really love working with both types, and all in between! And we love mixing new models with very experienced ones. And we like it best of all when the new models become so confident that they actually start sculpting their teachers – as Sara did to Chiara in the second picture on this page.
Regardless of experience, this retro figure-shaping process often produces some delightful and amusing imagery – both posed and candid. And all the models have a lot of fun in the process. In fact we often have to pause the shoot because everyone gets the giggles!
To find out more about modelling for waist.it please study our Modelling FAQ.